FIA confirm no investigation into Rosberg/Hamilton clash

FIA confirm no investigation into Rosberg/Hamilton clash

The FIA has confirmed that it will not be investigating the collision between Mercedes team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg during the Belgian Grand Prix.

The pair made contact at Les Combes on the second lap of Sunday’s race, in a clash that saw the German damage his front wing against the Englishman’s left-rear tyre, causing a puncture that dropped Hamilton down the field, and led to his eventual retirement.

While the stewards decided not to investigate the collision during the race, deeming it to be a racing incident, Hamilton later told the media that his team-mate had admitted to deliberately not backing off to ‘prove a point,’ a claim that Rosberg denied on Monday in a regular video blog.

However, with the race results already made official, the FIA declared that it would only open an investigation into the on-track events if new information was submitted by the involved parties.

“The FIA will not intervene in this issue,” Pierre Regent of the FIA told Sportsmail.

“Only a “new element” that would have appeared after the results became final could justify us opening an investigation. A comment alleged to have been made in an internal briefing and later denied by the team itself does not constitute such a “new element”.”

Image courtesy of  …

 

Dan Paddock

Dan Paddock

Dan Paddock is an FIA accredited freelance motorsport and Formula 1 journalist and the recently appointed Grand Prix Editor of Richland F1. Dan joined the site in July of last year as a Staff Writer, fresh off the back of completing a master’s degree in journalism. He has since gone on to represent Richland F1 at the 2014 British Grand Prix, his debut in the Formula 1 paddock. Aside from Richland F1, Dan also writes for Rumble Strip News, as well as maintaing his own modest blog.