Rosberg calls Hamilton clash a racing incident, nothing more
Nico Rosberg denies being at fault for his controversial clash with Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton during Sunday’s Belgian Grand Prix.
The Mercedes pair made contact at Les Combes on the second lap of the race while battling for the lead, the German damaging his front wing against Hamilton’s left-rear tyre, causing a puncture that saw the 2008 champion drop out of contention before he retired late on, while Rosberg recovered to finish second.
While Hamilton told selected media on Sunday evening that Rosberg had admitted to deliberately causing the collision following the race, the German insists that the clash was merely a racing incident, as justified by the stewards choice not to investigate it.
“I have seen it and I don’t want to say – but definitely, as the stewards judged it a racing incident, that is the way one can describe it,” said Rosberg.
“I was quicker at the time and there was an opportunity, so I gave it a go around the outside as the inside was blocked,” he added.
“I didn’t see any risk in overtaking, or trying to overtake, so why should I not try? The opportunity was there even without DRS because I was so much quicker, so I gave it a go.
“Inside was not possible, so I tried around the outside. Should I have waited? That is very hypothetical. Who knows what happens afterwards?
“The opportunity was there and, for me, it wasn’t a risky situation.”
Image courtesy of Mercedes AMG PETRONAS
Dan Paddock is an FIA accredited freelance motorsport and Formula 1 journalist and the recently appointed Grand Prix Editor of Richland F1. Dan joined the site in July of last year as a Staff Writer, fresh off the back of completing a master’s degree in journalism. He has since gone on to represent Richland F1 at the 2014 British Grand Prix, his debut in the Formula 1 paddock. Aside from Richland F1, Dan also writes for Rumble Strip News, as well as maintaing his own modest blog.