The FIA has officially confirmed that none of the 11 teams will run the FRIC suspension system at this weekend’s German Grand Prix.
The sport’s technical delegate Charlie Whiting sent a letter to the teams last week stating that the system was in breach of the regulations and could be challenged at the Hockenheimring.
McLaren was the first to reveal that it was not running the front-and-rear interconnected suspension device in Germany, with Red Bull and Mercedes following suit shortly after.
However, it has now been announced that no teams will run the system this weekend. “I can confirm that no car is fitted with a front to rear linked suspension system of any sort,” said a short statement released by FIA technical delegate Joe Bauer on Thursday.
Drivers shared their views on the impact removing FRIC will have in the paddock today. Lewis Hamilton doesn’t think it will change the competitive order, while Valtteri Bottas believes Williams could benefit from the ban.
Sebastian Vettel hopes it will close the gap to leaders Mercedes. “Well I said it is one of the things that obviously got banned now,” he said. “I hope it brings the field closer to Mercedes but it’s difficult to say.
“All of the teams have been playing with it to some extent. How much it has an impact? I think it has to be seen this weekend and also probably next week in Hungary. After those two races I think you can have another judgement.”
His team-mate Daniel Ricciardo said: “The thought of it is nice – that maybe Mercedes had a really trick system and will lose out more than us. But we’ll see what really happens on track.
“In saying all that, I don’t think it’s going to be a change that will cost a second in lap time. I think it will be a tenth or two tenths.”
Image courtesy of Octane Photographic