Formula One’s top teams are set to remove their FRIC – front/rear interconnected – suspension systems ahead of the German Grand Prix, with the unanimous support needed for the ban to be delayed until the end of the year seemingly unforthcoming.
While AUTOSPORT reports that Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus and Williams – the teams that make up the F1 Strategy Group – have agreed to not protest each other if any team were to use the system, it appears that the pact does not have unanimous agreement down the grid, with other outfits ready to protest any rival that runs with FRIC in Germany.
If reported, any team that was found to be using the suspension system – which boosts performance by maintaining a constant ride height – would be excluded from the results.
Although a final decision on whether the ban will be delayed until 2015 will have to wait until next week, it is understood that the top teams are ready to remove the systems, to avoid being disqualified at the upcoming German Grand Prix.
In light of the possible ban, which was first revealed by AUTOSPORT earlier this week, most teams ran their cars without the FRIC system during the two day test at Silverstone following the British Grand Prix.
Valtteri Bottas, who tested for Williams on the Wednesday, told reporters that he was unconcerned by the looming ban of the suspension system – first pioneered by Renault in 2008 – saying it is unlikely to shuffle the current pecking order.
“Maybe some teams could be more affected than us I would say,” said the Finn. “We’ll see, I don’t really know what’s going to happen, we will see.
“What will be the decision, I think we’ll be okay with it. I don’t think it’s going to be key to the season or anything like that.”
Image courtesy of Octane Photographic