2014 British Grand Prix starting grid
Nico Rosberg will start Sunday’s British Grand Prix from pole, following a last gasp effort in a dramatic wet/dry qualifying session yesterday. While the first half of the grid remains unchanged, the order outside of the top 10 has shifted significantly owing to a series of penalties.
Max Chilton was originally 13th fastest in qualifying, one spot behind his team-mate Jules Bianchi, but carries a five-place grid penalty into the race following a gearbox change after final practice, which drops him down to 17th.
Pastor Maldonado, who stopped out on track on his final lap in Q2 after a fuel consumption error by Renault Sport, was 16th, only to be excluded from the results of qualifying as he could not supply a fuel sample to the FIA.
The Venezuelan will start 20th, ahead of the two Caterhams of Marcus Ericsson and Kamui Kobayashi, the pair given special dispensation to start after both failed to set a time within 107 per cent of Nico Rosberg’s ultimate pace in Q1.
Esteban Gutierrez joins Maldonado on the 10th row of the grid in 19th, his ten-place grid penalty for an unsafe release in Austria dropping him down from 14th.
The Mexican loses just five places on the grid as he cannot start behind the Caterhams, who officially failed to qualify, and starts ahead of Maldonado because his penalty was enforced first.
After the reshuffle at the rear of the field, Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa, who qualified 17th and 18th, find themselves promoted to 14th and 15th, while Fernando Alonso moves forward three places to 16th, ahead of Chilton and his Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.
Here is the grid for the 2014 British Grand Prix:
1. Nico Rosberg – Mercedes
2. Sebastian Vettel – Red Bull-Renault
3. Jenson Button – McLaren-Mercedes
4. Nico Hulkenberg – Force India-Mercedes
5. Kevin Magnussen – McLaren-Mercedes
6. Lewis Hamilton – Mercedes
7. Sergio Perez – Force India-Mercedes
8. Daniel Ricciardo – Red Bull-Renault
9. Daniil Kvyat – Toro Rosso-Renault
10. Jean-Eric Vergne – Toro Rosso-Renault
11. Romain Grosjean – Lotus-Renault
12. Jules Bianchi – Marussia-Ferrari
13. Adrian Sutil – Sauber-Ferrari
14. Valtteri Bottas – Williams-Mercedes
15. Felipe Massa – Williams-Mercedes
16. Fernando Alonso – Ferrari
17. Max Chilton – Marussia-Ferrari – 5-place grid penalty
18. Kimi Raikkonen – Ferrari
19. Esteban Gutierrez – Sauber-Ferrari – 10-place grid penalty
20. Pastor Maldonado – Lotus-Renault – Excluded following a fuel infringement
21. Marcus Ericsson – Caterham-Renault – Given dispensation to start after failing to meet 107% cut off
22. Kamui Kobayashi – Caterham-Renault – Given dispensation to start after failing to meet 107%
Image courtesy of Octane Photographic.
Dan Paddock is an FIA accredited freelance motorsport and Formula 1 journalist and the recently appointed Grand Prix Editor of Richland F1. Dan joined the site in July of last year as a Staff Writer, fresh off the back of completing a master’s degree in journalism. He has since gone on to represent Richland F1 at the 2014 British Grand Prix, his debut in the Formula 1 paddock. Aside from Richland F1, Dan also writes for Rumble Strip News, as well as maintaing his own modest blog.