Haas granted 2015 F1 entry by FIA
The sport’s governing body opened up a tender for a 12th team late last year. Following a lengthy evaluation process, Haas confirmed on Friday that his application to join the grid has been accepted.
“Obviously, we’re extremely pleased to have been granted a Formula 1 licence by the FIA,” he said in a statement.
“It’s an exciting time for me, Haas Automation and anyone who wanted to see an American team return to Formula 1.
“Now, the really hard work begins. It’s a challenge we embrace as we work to put cars on the grid. I want to thank the FIA for this opportunity and the diligence everyone put forth to see our licence application come to fruition.”
The Stewart-Haas NASCAR team co-owner announced his intentions to enter a Formula 1 outfit earlier in the year. Bernie Ecclestone said over the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend that he expected Haas’ application to be accepted, also suggesting that there could be a 13th team added to the grid.
2010 was the last time that new teams entered the sport. USF1, the last American outfit to be granted entry to F1, had planned to join alongside Caterham, Marussia and HRT, but folded before the season began.
Haas is hoping to announce further details next week. It is thought that the team is looking to run with a Dallara built chassis and Ferrari engines.
Image courtesy of Octane Photographic
Jack Leslie is a freelance motorsport journalist. He has been part of the Richland F1 team since the very start and made his debut in the F1 paddock for the website at the 2014 Austrian Grand Prix. Jack also writes for Car Throttle and RumbleStripNews, as well as running a popular blog.