Sutil confirmed at Sauber for 2014

Adrian Sutil has been confirmed as a Sauber F1 Team driver for the 2014 season, replacing Force India-bound Nico Hulkenberg.0762LW1D2905

The Swiss team announced the news on Friday afternoon and said the second driver will be confirmed at a later date.

Sutil made his F1 debut in 2007 driving for Spyker, who then became Force India ahead of the 2008 season. He remained at the team until 2011, where he was replaced by Hulkenberg, before returning for 2013. The Sauber switch will be the first time that he has moved teams.

Force India confirmed on Thursday that Sergio Perez would complete their line-up for next season, leaving Sutil without a drive. However, he has now made a direct swap with Hulkenberg to take his seat at Sauber.

Sutil said on the news that he will remain in F1 for a seventh season: “I am very happy that we found common ground. Although I have known for a while where I wanted to go, in the end the negotiations took a bit longer than planned. However, now I will have all the more reason to celebrate during the Christmas season.

“I’ve been in contact with Monisha for a while and she always gave me the feeling my qualities are valued. After six good years driving for Force India, with a lot of highlights, it’s now time to embark on a new challenge. I am determined to do my part in order to have a successful future together with the Sauber F1 Team.

“The long and successful tradition in motorsport, combined with an impressive factory and one of the best wind tunnels in F1, have been fascinating me for a long time. Thank you to Peter Sauber and Monisha Kaltenborn for your trust in me.”

Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn commented on the confirmation, saying: “We are pleased, that we were able to sign Adrian, particularly as we have been wanting to work together with him for a while. Adrian had already visited the factory at the end of September to have a look at the infrastructure.

“Adrian is not only very fast, but also brings a lot of experience, which is very important looking at the new regulations for next year. We welcome Adrian to the Sauber F1 Team and look forward to a successful collaboration.”

There are now just four seats left to be filled on the 2014 grid: One at Sauber, two at Caterham and one at Marussia.

Image courtesy of Octane Photographic

Facebook Twitter Email