Perez confident Mexico will return to F1 calendar

Sergio Perez is confident that the Mexican Grand Prix will return to the F1 calendar in 2015. It was unsurprisingly dropped from next year’s schedule, which was officially published after a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council on Wednesday.0815LW1D3514

The last Formula 1 race to be held in Mexico was in 1992 at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez circuit. It was dominated by the Williams-Renault duo of Nigel Mansell and Riccardo Patrese. The race was removed from the 2014 calendar and postponed to next year due to lack of preparation time to upgrade the Mexico City track to F1 standards.

“I was expecting it, so I am not that disappointing,” Perez told AUTOSPORT when asked about the future of the race. “But I believe that 2015 it can really happen.

“We are a lot closer right now than we were a couple of months ago. I have big hopes that 2015 can be when Mexico will happen.”

The 23-year-old is currently hunting for a seat on the 2014 grid. He announced his departure from McLaren prior to his ‘home’ race at the United States Grand Prix after just one season and will be replaced by rookie Kevin Magnussen.

He is expected to partner Nico Hulkenberg at Force India. Talking about his season at McLaren, he admits that he did not underestimate the level of expectation at the Woking-based outfit:

“I knew that I was coming to one of the biggest teams in the sport and the amount of pressure that was going to be on my shoulders was going to be bigger,” he said.

“As people know, I came here probably at the worst time so it has been even more difficult because they came from a great deal last year. It has been quite a struggle.”

Image courtesy of Octane Photographic

Facebook Twitter Email