Adrian Sutil and Paul Di Resta have been left disappointed by their one-lap speed during qualifying for the Singapore Grand Prix. Both drivers failed to make it through to the top 10 shoot-out with Di Resta exiting in Q1 and Sutil in Q2.
Di Resta will start the Singapore Grand Prix from 17th on the grid, admitting that he has struggled for one-lap pace all weekend. Speaking in a team statement he said: “I think we simply didn’t have enough speed today and all weekend I’ve been struggling with my one-lap pace. I think we are more optimised for the race and the speed looks better over long runs, with low degradation of the tyres.”
He added: “But we’ve got some work to do tomorrow if we want to be fighting for points. We came here and tried to replicate as much as we could from last year, but we’ve just not been able to find the zone. It’s a tough, long race ahead of us and it’s difficult to overtake, but anything can happen and we will keep fighting.”
Team-mate Adrian Sutil will start directly ahead of him on the grid after the German set the 15th fastest time in Q2. He felt that the top 10 shoot-out was on after Friday practice, but his expectations were not met.
Discussing his qualifying session he said: “P15 is disappointing because it’s some way off where we were aiming to be. We are just too slow to fight for the top ten at the moment and everyone is working hard to try and understand where we are losing out. All we can do is keep fighting tomorrow and if we do a good strategy we can hopefully gain some places.”
Force India team principal Vijay Mallya is expecting a tough race for his two drivers, but knows that the Singapore Grand Prix can spring a surprise: “There’s a big task facing us tomorrow if we want to come away with points, but history has shown that the Singapore Grand Prix can be an unpredictable race. Our long run pace has looked more encouraging so hopefully we can exploit that tomorrow and make the most of events in the race to maximise our strategies.”
Image courtesy of Octane Photographic