Button expecting to complete F1 career at McLaren

Jenson Button has admitted that he was slightly mischievous with McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh after he said last week that there wasn’t a signature from the team in his contract for next season.0784LW1D7293

The remark sparked a flurry of gossip in the Spa-Francorchamps paddock with some even linking him to the 2014 Red Bull drive. However he has not made it clear that he is “very happy” at McLaren and expects to remain with them for the rest of his career in the sport.

He is quoted by BT Sport saying: “I was only winding him (team principal Martin Whitmarsh) up. That was very unfair of me, but I was just stating a fact (about the signature).

“It’s obviously not going our way at the moment, but it will, and I’m very happy here, I feel good here, and I still feel we can achieve so much together. I’ll be here for my future in Formula One.”

Button finished sixth in last weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix, admitting that recent updates have helped to improve the pace and handling of the MP4-28. He said that he “really enjoyed” driving the car and had fun tackling the Spa-Francorchamps circuit on route to a decent helping of points.

However he did feel that the chance of a podium was on – he finished 12 seconds behind third place man Lewis Hamilton – and particularly if the safety car had made an appearance. The Brit admits that it will be tough to get the team’s first podium of the season at the next round in Italy, but is hoping for a mixed up race: “The next race (in Italy on September 8) is another opportunity, but then after that it’s going to be a bit more difficult on the full-downforce circuits. If it’s a straight out-and-out race with everyone finishing then it is going to be very difficult for us to get a podium, but if it’s mixed up a little then there is every opportunity.”

Image courtesy of Octane Photographic

Facebook Twitter Email