Marshal tragically dies after post-race accident

Marshal tragically dies after post-race accident


It has been confirmed that a track marshal from the Canadian Grand Prix has died, casting a shadow over the weekend.formula-1-circuit-ile-notre-dame-canadian-canada-montreal-grand-prix-esteban_2957301

The marshal was helping to stabilise the damaged Sauber C32 of Esteban Gutierrez as it was recovered to the pit lane by crane. The marshal was running alongside the crane when the he accidentally stumbled in front of the vehicle where the driver failed to see him. He was run over and a doctor – who was nearby – was on the scene within 30 seconds with the tracks medical team following shortly after.

The marshal, a 38-year-old man and with 10 years of experience working on the crane-loading team at the race, was stabilised at the race track medical centre before being transported to the Sacré Coeur Hospital by helicopter. However later in the day he unfortunately succumbed to his injuries.

Messages of condolence poured through social media. Esteban Gutierrez, who’s car the marshal was helping to recover, tweeted “My dearest condolences to the family of the marshal who lost his life today, our prayers for him & his family. RIP.” Jenson Button shared a message: “Shocked & saddened by the news that a marshal who is there to keep us safe has lost his life during our race today. Rest in peace my friend.”

Formula One has improved vastly on both car and track safety over the years but despite the last driver death being back in 1994, there have been several fatal accidents involving marshals over the last two decades. The tragic accident at yesterday’s Canadian Grand Prix is the first marshal fatality since the Australian Grand Prix in 2001.

The FIA released the following statement:

“The FIA is sad to announce the death of a Formula One Grand Prix du Canada circuit worker, at 6:02 pm.

“The worker, a member of the Automobile Club de l’Île Notre Dame, was the victim of an unfortunate accident that occurred at the end of this afternoon’s Formula One Grand Prix du Canada. The worker was helping to recover a car which had stopped during the race. The recovery vehicle had lifted the car to return it to the pits and while doing this the worker dropped his radio and attempted to pick it up. As he did this, he stumbled and was hit and run over by the recovery vehicle.

“The worker was transported via helicopter to Sacre-Coeur Hospital where he was treated by the traumatology department of Dr Ronald Denis, Deputy Chief Medical Officer and Dr Jacques Bouchard, Chief Medical Officer of the Grand Prix. Unfortunately, the worker succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.

“The FIA, l’Automobile Club de l’Île Notre-Dame and the Formula One Grand Prix du Canada want to communicate their deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim. The identity of the worker cannot be revealed at this time.”

The whole RichlandF1 team send their condolences to the marshals friends and family, RIP.

Image courtesy of Sky Sports F1